Finally got the roman shade, some art, towels, and a plant in the bathroom. I think this project took about ten months. I'm generally pleased with how it turned out, but it all makes me hate the slate tile even more. I kind of think I made the tile worse, not better, by going so bold instead of going with your standard neutrals. But it's happy and finished!
My idea of a really good Friday night is a bottle of wine, my local jazz station, and several hours in my sewing room. Here's where I ended up with the drapes.
Here are the various versions, pinned in place for at least an hour's worth of OCD consternation before I made a decision: single frame, double frame, or stripes:
And here is the final result:
I'm very pleased with how they look, but I am not so pleased with with how I had to get the ribbon to stay in place. I bought 20 yards of stitch witchery, a kind of fusible webbing that glues fabric together with a steam iron. It's not messy and it doesn't stiffen fabric the way fabric glue does. Well, I spent an hour trying to get the stuff to work. I followed the directions and even triple checked to make sure I was doing everything as I should. But it just wouldn't adhere the ribbon to the fabric. So I whipped out the fabric glue and got to work. It's good enough, but if you were to see it up close you'd say it's not the kind of professional looking treatment you'd expect, say, from Pottery Barn.
I made these drapes for the closet a few weeks ago, and they've been waiting patiently for me to decide how to apply navy blue grosgrain trim. Since I did the pin board, I want to put grosgrain trim on everything.
My friend Karen had the best advice: "You don't want anemic trim!" So whatever it is, it's gotta be bold!
The obvious thing is to stick with the greek key theme, but I think it's too matchy with the pinboard, like having room full of unicorns. One is probably enough.
How about draper stripes? I like the idea of making the drapes look a little fatter by emphasizing width. But then there would be a lot going on down at the bottom with those green baskets and the stripes, and then not much going on up top. Oh, but what if I added a stripe at the top, too, to balance things out?
There's also the double frame. It draws the eye up and provides a little horizontal action without being too matchy. Is it still a little predictable. The double frame requires the most trim and work, but not so much that it's not worth a little extra effort. My trim would be thicker, though, like the draper stripe, because as you probably noticed.... while the turquoise and orange is yummy, the ribbon is in fact anemic. It should be much fatter!
Opinions? Stripe or double frame? Something completely different?
I'm leaning towards 3 or 4 stripes on the bottom and two or one at the top, as of 10:55 pm on Thursday. Let's see where we end up, shall we?
This is like an early Christmas! I've been waiting since January for this Chiang Mai Dragon roman shade for our master bathroom. It took months and months of selling off the flotsam and jetsam of my life on eBay, but I finally socked away enough to pay someone else to DIFM (do it for me) instead of DIY. Here's a preview of the lovely lady. And look how well Grace, the shademaker at Ideal Window Fashions, matched the valance pattern to the shade pattern. It's about 1" misaligned in the photo, but I think the shade is just tilted and will hang perfectly when I mount it over my own window.
Winter arrived today. She's not quite settled in, but I have no doubt she'll make herself comfortable quickly.
We have very short summers here on the hill. The last of the snow melts by Juneish, and it's back by mid-September. I hang on to summer as long as possible, but I've already got my electric bed-warmer plugged in and turned on the heater this evening. We didn't even get 30 days between air conditioning and heat this time around.